Research Student – Term Position
|Job Type||Student Full Time Term (3 month approx)|
|Location||Ottawa (Note that due to the current COVID-19 pandemic, this position will work remotely. The candidate must have the ability to work from home.)|
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
A summer Research Student term position is available to students enrolled in a University Bachelors Program or Masters Graduate Program in Chemistry, Biology, Microbiology, or a related field. Working under the supervision of a CALA staff member, the Research Officer is responsible for regular research and writing for internal and external audiences. This includes gathering and interpreting information relating to laboratory management, training, and accreditation. This content will used to develop articles, training course content, web site content, and various other materials.
- Using primarily online sources, including scientific publications, research topics of interest to accredited laboratories
- Compiles reads, analyzes and interprets topical information as assigned
- Draft document outlines, then further develop into content of interest to defined audiences
- Suggests and initiates further research projects based on findings
- Assist with various office functions as required
Knowledge, Skills and Education
- Graduate, or senior university student in chemistry, biology, microbiology or related fields. Preference may be given to candidates who are enrolled in a Masters Graduate Program
- Experience conducting research and analyzing data and information with defined objectives in a deadline-driven environment
- Experience writing and producing reports and/or written summaries
- Demonstrated resourcefulness and initiative to complete research projects on time and within expectations
- Excellent writing and communication in English.
- Effective analytic, organizational, and time management skills
- Ability to work with competing priorities and deadlines
- In possession of sound judgment with an ability to work independently and remotely.
- Ability to work as a team member and on their own initiative when the situation demands
- Ability to research using scientific papers and other publications. Experience can be related to course work. Completion of one or more courses on scientific research preferred.
- Experience working in a laboratory setting
- Skilled in using Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint
- Ability to work from home
Interested in applying?
Please submit your resume and a cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. Only those individuals selected for an interview will be contacted. No phone calls please.
Job posting expires on June 1, 2020. Note that this posting may be removed earlier than the posted date depending on the number of applicants received.
CALA welcomes applications from all individuals, regardless of race, national origin, gender, age, physical characteristics, social origin, disability, union membership, religion, family status, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, or any unlawful criterion under applicable law. We are committed to treating all applicants fairly and avoiding discrimination.Apply Now